Sunday, June 27, 2010

Frazzini/Fracini

Last week we decided to make Fracini(just guessing at the spelling here) - I had been asking Mom to make it for a while now and we finally got around to it. We had to order the anise seeds from Penzeys because none of the stores in the area had any, how weird is that? I suppose you must be asking yourself what the heck is Fracini? Fracini is an Italian twice baked, really hard piece of bread made with anise seeds that you dip in your coffee or tea. When it is done it looks like a really stale donut. This is the only thing I will eat with anise seed in it. I eat them with margarine instead of dipping them in coffee as I don't drink coffee. Here are some pictures of the process followed by the recipe. :)


Fracini

Ingredients:

3 lbs. of flour (about 12 cups)(or maybe more...)

6 eggs

2 yeast packs (dry or fresh)

1/2 cup of shortening (or oil)

2 Tbsp. of salt

3 Tbsp. of sugar

1 quart milk or water (2 cups scalded milk/2 cups water)

1 to 2 Tbsp crushed anise seed(I went with 2, could even use more if you like)


Directions:

Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs; add the sugar, salt, and shortening. Add the 2 cups of hot milk; stir until the shortening is disolved. Then, add the remainder 2 cups of water. If it feels lukewarm to the touch add the flour a little at a time, then the yeast. Continue adding the flour until the dough doesn't stick to your hands. Put in a greased bowl, cover with a cloth and set aside, away from drafts for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Form dough in the shape of buns, some with holes and place on a cookie sheet for about 1 hr to raise. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, split with a fork and re-bake the halves for about 15 minutes till toasted at 375 degrees.

6 comments:

  1. thank you, we used to make this with our grandma Alda and her sister Auntie Mary but no one ever wrote down the recipe. Ooh the things we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for this recipe for years! I am in tears.
    My Nonna made this for years. We loved them. I am so happy,thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma made them on snow days...I am just making a batch now! I use a white bread recipe and just add anise seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can these he frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My mom made large batches and froze them. Wrapped in wax paper and foil.

      Delete
  5. My husband makes frazzini once a year in winter using his grandmother's recipe from Calabria. It uses lard for shortening, no eggs and more anise seed. He cuts it down from the original recipe which was huge. He eats them toasted and well buttered. We mail them out to our kids to remind them of their heritage. Definitely a specialty recipe!

    ReplyDelete